I had to go back to our old template... I really wasn't feeling the new one and it kept having some crazy formatting issues. Maybe change is over-rated after all. :) I have added a little pregnancy ticker, now that the word is out. So there's a little something new!
I had my latest OB appointment yesterday and everything is looking good. We've had a lot of debate about the due date, though. I know that in real life, the due date really doesn't make all that much difference because the baby will come when it will come, but it sure would be nice to feel like we had a good sense of how far along the baby's development is now. When I first went to the doctor back in February, they thought I was at 8 weeks. Our first due date was October 10. That seemed a little far to me, but if that meant I was already 2 months through the first trimester, I was happy to take it! Then I was having some problems about three weeks later - we thought I was at 11 weeks - and had an ultrasound to make sure everything was OK. Based on the ultrasound, which is supposed to be super, super accurate at that stage, they decided I was actually only about 6 1/2 weeks along. What?! A whole month felt like a huge setback. So, our second due date was November 9. Sigh. Ian and I looked closely at the ultrasound pics and compared them to other pictures we could find, and that estimate really did seem like it matched up. BUT, then I started looking at the calendar and decided it couldn't possibly be right based on the date I had the first positive pregnancy test. So, I made up our third due date of October 24. I picked a date somewhere in between the two the doctors had given us. I mentioned all this to the doc yesterday, so she worked through all of the dates with me, which I really appreciated. She said I was right that the pregnancy test was crazy early, but that she's heard of other women having positive tests that early. We also realized that when I was counting back weeks, I got a little off, so the test date made a TINY bit more sense, but was still very unusual. Bottom line is that she feels very sure about the November 9 date and really wanted me to feel good about it, too. Boo. :( I'm trying to come to terms with November 9. So, we're now at 11 weeks for the THIRD time in this pregnancy.
There's a little feature on my new BFF site, babycenter.com, that shows you pictures of food approximately the size of the baby for each week. It goes from poppy seeds to pumpkins (a pumpkin? really?? that's scary!) and includes some rather odd choices such as kumquats, spaghetti squash, English hothouse cucumber, and a large jicama. I guess that's supposed to help give you a frame of reference, but I don't know that I've ever seen any of those foods whole and in person. I'm sure every pregnant couple has gone through this, but it's a little awkward to refer to the baby as "it" and for some reason, "the baby" doesn't feel terribly personal either. I know other couples who have gone with the food thing and called their baby "the bean" or "pea" or "peanut" and such. For some reason, we got stuck on kumquats. Particularly odd, since I'm really not sure what a kumquat is, but that's been our name of choice for the baby for now. Poor kid. :)
1 comment:
At least this way, baby Villanueva will never have to celebrate their birthday alone :) Another great website I loved was baby-gaga.com. I wish we would have referred to Emma as a food item...instead of HERM! Yeah, you can thank your brother for that one! Love you and can't wait to see you soon!
Post a Comment