Saturday, March 1, 2008

Popular!

Yes, it's true... two blogs in two weeks. I'm back on the wagon! I have my board exam for state licensure on Monday (eek!) and after that, I'm very much looking forward to the pace of life returning to some sense of normalcy. If nothing else, I'll have two big worries (conference plus exam) off my shoulders... assuming I pass the exam, that is. :) Keep your fingers crossed!

Since I'm really supposed to be studying right now, this is going to be a quick one. There were just a couple of super-cute things the kids did this week that I wanted to share. I do my very best not to take things the kids do or say about me to heart because I know very little of what happens is truly about me. That being said, I think it's good to hold on to the nice things and laugh off the not-so-nice ones. Without keeping this in mind, the week before last could easily have been a bit of an ego-buster. There are two little guys I see back-to-back every Wednesday. One is six and the other is seven. They generally like coming to see me, but that week the six-year-old said I was a bad friend and he was never coming back to play with me because I wouldn't let him keep even just one of my superhero action figures. To his credit, he did ask which one I liked best and tried very hard to get to keep a different one. (Apparently, my ass-kickers are quite popular, Mandy and Kev!) But since I said they all had to stay at the center so he could play with them when he came to see me, he said we were no longer friends and he was never coming back. Then, I went to get the seven-year-old for his session and he had a total melt-down because he didn't want to come see me. As Kurt Vonnegut would say, so it goes.

This week was lovely, though. There's another little guy who just turned six who has been my admirer for a while now. i don't see him for therapy, but he comes to the center every day I'm there for the after-school program we have. The going theory in the office was that he really just loved me for my toys and thought that if he was really nice to me, I'd let him come in and play with them. I was drawing pictures with him the other day and he said, "You know what? Joey said that sometimes he wants to kiss you. [Note: No idea who Joey is.] Sometimes I feel that way, too." I was chatting with the little guy who said he was never coming back and his case worker later and the case worker told him to tell me what his favorite color is. He said "White like your skin and brown like your hair and black like your shirt..." I am the only white person who works at this office. Ian said it's funny that I'm the exotic one. :) During our session, he did promote me from having "bad character" (for talking too loudly) to having "good character." I think we've made our peace... At least until Superman comes up again. :)

1 comment:

Three Gals and a Guy said...

I, personally, would be fighting for Spiderman. I like the web-action. Glad to hear you're having plenty of happy times to out-weigh the "not-so-happy." Love you lots, can't wait for Kansas!