Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Friendly Day in the South

I've said several times that people in Charlotte are very friendly and chatty. Sometimes it's hard to explain how this is different from what we've experienced elsewhere. A perfect example of this happened today.
I went to the driving range for a while to practice chipping and pitching before my last lesson on Saturday. I decided to take a different way home than usual. I'm still learning my way around the city and thought it was a good time to explore. Happily, I ended up by Taco Bell. I love Taco Bell and - fortunately - there really aren't many fast food places convenient to where we live. Even though I'd been thinking of the good, healthy salad I was planning to make when I got home, I couldn't help but stop. When I pulled up to place my order, the voice in the box said "Hi, how are you?" rather than the usual "Welcome to XX, would you like to try a XX?" I've noticed that a few times at various fast food places around here. When I was pulling around to the window, I realized that I left my wallet in my golf bag, which was in the trunk. Oops! So, I popped the trunk and hopped out of the car - still wearing my golf shoes - ran around to get my wallet and then drove up to the window. I expected the woman at the window to say something about this. Instead, when I pulled up, the woman at the window said, "Do you play golf? You go girl!" We chatted a bit about golf and husbands and all that while getting my Mexican Pizza and change. When I was leaving, she congratulated me on my new hobby, wished me luck and said, "Have a blessed day!" Sure don't see that in Chicago. :)


No comments: